High Flyers Student Mentors
High Flyers Student Mentors
Applying to be a Student Mentor on the LEAPS High Flyers Residential
Please note, the closing date for applications for the role of High Flyers Student Mentor was midnight on Wednesday 28 March 2018.
About High Flyers
High Flyers is a short residential experience for a group of forty pupils, drawn from six local schools with, traditionally, low levels of progression to Higher Education. The pupils who attend will be just starting S5 and are selected by their schools on the basis that they have the potential to go to university. This year the event will take place from 13 - 15 June 2018.
The group (including four Student Mentors) will stay in Edinburgh University student accommodation at Pollock Halls, and will spend either a half day or a full day in four local universities (Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot-Watt University, Queen Margaret University and the University of Edinburgh), taking part in academic workshops and more generic sessions related to student life. There will also be social activities in the evenings in which you will be involved.
Although this event is brief, it is an excellent opportunity to gain experience of working with pupils of this age, and to observe how they respond to new situations.
The Role of the Student Mentor
Each Student Mentor will be responsible for a group of 10 pupils. At various points during the week, Student Mentors will be expected to lead activities with their group and to support, enthuse, and encourage pupils, sharing their experience of and their enthusiasm for Higher Education. They will get to know their group members and will be responsible for accompanying them to academic workshops and social activities, checking that all group members are where they are supposed to be. Student Mentors will be supported by members of the LEAPS team and by partner university staff (from Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot-Watt University, Queen Margaret University and the University of Edinburgh).
What we look for in a Student Mentor
In order to be a Student Mentor you should:
- be in, or beyond, second year of your undergraduate studies
- be able to work as part of a team, both with other Student Mentors and with LEAPS and partner university staff (Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot-Watt University, Queen Margaret University, University of Edinburgh)
- be able to facilitate discussion and encourage participation in a group
- have good time management skills
- be able to generate a supportive and creative environment
- demonstrate genuine enthusiasm for being at university
- be willing to share your experience of Higher Education and your journey to becoming a student.
- be sensitive to the reactions of the pupils to the event and be proactive in recognising any issues that arise where appropriate.
- be approachable and to enjoy working with young people - pupils will see mentors as role models
Prior experience as a volunteer with LEAPS or as a student ambassador for one of the participating universities is very desirable.
How we appoint the Student Mentor Team
Student Mentors are absolutely key to the success of this event. Following the interview and selection process we hope to employ a team of four mentors, ideally comprising a proportionate gender mix from across our partner universities (Edinburgh Napier University, Heriot-Watt University, Queen Margaret University, University of Edinburgh) and across a range of subjects (where possible).
Contract and Payment
You will be employed on a contract. We can only hire you if you provide satisfactory evidence of your eligibility to work in the UK. As the role constitutes regulated work with children under the PVG Scheme, we also require satisfactory completion of a PVG Scheme Application (or Existing Scheme Member Update) which will be carried out by LEAPS prior to starting the role.
Payment will be £400 (gross) for the time commitment outlined below. It should be noted that, because of the dates of the event, Student Mentors will receive the money in their bank accounts at the end of July 2018.
Student Mentors need to be able to attend all of the High Flyers dates (including 3 evenings and 2 overnight stays) as well as a training afternoon. We also require you to visit the LEAPS Office week beginning 16 April 2018 to complete the necessary PVG paperwork and documents relating to your contract.
- 30 minute meeting at LEAPS Office (Holyrood Road, EH8 8AQ) on a date/time tbc from Tuesday 17 - Thursday 19 April 2018
- 13.30-17.00 on Wednesday 6 June 2018 for a training afternoon at Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh Campus)
- 08.15 on Wednesday 13 June until 20.30 on Friday 15 June 2018 (inclusive) for the High Flyers programme
How to apply to be a Student Mentor
- The closing date for applications was midnight on Wednesday 28 March 2018.
- Invitations to those selected for the interview and selection process will be emailed on Wednesday 4 April 2018.
- The interview and selection process will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday 11 April 2018 at Edinburgh University, Holyrood Campus (room tbc).
Please note we are unable to provide feedback to candidates at application stage but would be happy to offer feedback to applicants who are unsuccessful at interview/selection stage.
We strongly encourage applications from students who are typically underrepresented in higher education. In particular we welcome applications from care experienced and young adult carer students.
Questions about the Student Mentor role
If you have any questions about being a Student Mentor, or would like to talk through what the role involves in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact Claire Aitchison or Joanne Stubbs at the LEAPS Office on 0131 650 4676 or email email@example.com.